Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Disappointed (3)

About the time I hit the half way point (mile 13.1 for those of you still reading), my right leg was beginning to bother me (Achilles and calf) - so I stopped every quarter to half a mile to stretch. I walked through each aid station when available (water and gatorade was more plentiful from miles 10-16; although the runners did have to often times supply their own cups).

The best part of these miles was the spectators through the neighborhoods. I wish I knew the layout of Chicago better to give the neighborhoods their props. Each grouping of families and friends was awesome - they had their garden hoses and sprinklers out, covering the street with a cool breeze and nice mist (or if you really wanted to get wet a plunge into the stream of the hose). I am sure that these awesome fans saved many lives that hotter than Hades day!

Somewhere between miles 16-17, I noticed that the roads were beginning to close ahead of the runners/walkers. It was at this point that we (the proud, the sweaty, the marathoners) were told that the race was canceled and we were being re-routed back to Grant Park (the finish). I was feeling fine at this point (other than a few cramps in my lower right leg - I kept going into medical tents to see if anyone had an salt packets...there were none), but other than that I felt strong enough to complete the race IF GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY.

Most people that could still run were running and weren't going to stop until they made us (Damn the Man!). We however soon realized the resistance was futile when we no longer were passing any timing areas or mile markers - oops...we were re-routed remember (duh). As we got to Grant Park we were told to go to the finish line. So off we went running, walking, limping, or being carried off to the finish line. What the organizers did not do was to tell the groups working the finish line that there was a group of runners (hundreds or maybe a thousand) running into the same chute the "finishers" were running out of (picture salmon swimming up stream).

I crossed the finish line at 3:59:38. I had "completed" my first marathon by only running 18ish miles. What a crappy way to end the race. Where was the closure to my training? I had run 18 miles before - what's the big deal with that?!

For the last couple days I have gotten more irritated at the organizers of the race for not planning well. Nothing is going to change what happened on the course that day: 300+ people taken to the hospital, one man died, and thousands of people that had been training to complete a marathon were denied.

I would hate to be working as the PR group for this year's Chicago Marathon! But have seen some cool shirt designs and good PR from other marathons inviting people to come run theirs. (IMT Des Moines Iowa race is promising to have water on the course)

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Wow.