Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I <3 a challenge

Most of you (remember, there are only about 6 of you that read this blog. I love my family!) know that I love to read and write. I read a lot and write on a inconsistent basis. Recently though I have begun to write more regularly (not on the blog obviously, but for work and for 'fun').

On my night stand there is usually no less than 5 books stacked in the corner under my lamp - which drives Jen crazy! She likes her night stand to be orderly, I like to be able to knock things unto the floor when I reach for my blackberry at 2 AM - different strokes for different folks. Right now there are a couple books that are kicking my arse - both in reading and writing.

Reading:

I am reading Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell and eventually will do a book review. Most people have read the book or have at least heard of Rob Bell. I have listened to his podcast for Mars Hill for a while and have seen most, if not all of his Nooma videos. But this was the first time that I have actually read any of his books.

Let me tell you he is breaking my bones. I'll explain more once I am finished with the book, but let me say that I am only on the third chapter and I am totally in inner monologue conversations with him challenging me on all levels. I love a good challenge - that is the only way we grow!

Writing:

I am writing a book review of Rick McKinley's book Jesus in the Margins. I am writing the review for a blog/twitter buddy - can't tell you about the project he is working on now, but should be able to link to it in the near future!

Jesus in the Margins was also a great challenge. In response to the challenge, my definition of neighbor, community, and love has expanded. I'll post the review when it is 'safe' to do so.

Growth is hard, but well worth it!

No comments: